Why Treating Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT) Is Important
When you have chronic kidney disease (CKD) in Stage 3, Stage 4, or Stage 5 you may develop a common but serious complication known as Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT). It is important to diagnose and treat SHPT early.
SHPT and growth of the parathyroid gland
SHPT causes your parathyroid glands to become enlarged and produce too much PTH. By growing too large, these glands can become resistant to treatment and may require surgery.
Talk to your doctor to learn more about the potential effects of SHPT on your body.
Now that you know more about the importance of treating SHPT, take action:
If you are one of the more than 16 million patients with chronic kidney disease
(CKD) in Stages 3, 4, or 5, make sure you talk to your doctor about SHPT
Simple blood tests can help you and your doctor keep a check on your PTH levels. Talk to your doctor about getting a PTH test.
If you have SHPT, your doctor can discuss with you why treating SHPT is important.
Next: Living With SHPT
- Coresh J, Selvin E, Stevens LA, et al. Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in the United States. JAMA. 2007;298:2038–2047.
- US Renal Data System. USRDS 2006 Annual Data Report: Atlas of End-Stage Renal Disease in the
United States. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2007.
- Important Safety Facts
- Do not take ZEMPLAR if...
- Tell your doctor...
- What to expect
- ZEMPLAR Use
- Helpful resources
- Print Safety Facts
You should not start or continue to take ZEMPLAR Capsules if you have symptoms of high calcium or vitamin D.
Taking too much vitamin D or taking it for a long time can cause very high calcium or vitamin D levels which may cause serious health problems and the need for emergency medical care. Signs of high calcium include feeling tired, difficulty thinking clearly, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, increased thirst, increased urination, and weight loss. Tell your doctor if you are having any of these signs.
Before and while taking ZEMPLAR Capsules, tell your doctor about all medications that you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription drugs, aluminum-containing compounds, supplements, and herbal preparations, or any change in your medical condition.
Your doctor should measure your blood levels of PTH, calcium, and phosphorus before starting you on and while you are taking ZEMPLAR Capsules. Your doctor may order the tests more often when you begin ZEMPLAR Capsules or if your dose is changed. Your doctor may adjust your dose based on the results of your blood tests.
It is important that you follow your ZEMPLAR medication plan exactly as your doctor has ordered and follow any instructions you were given about your diet and phosphorus restrictions.
The most common side effects with the use of ZEMPLAR Capsules include diarrhea, nausea, swelling, allergic reaction, viral infection, high blood pressure, vomiting, inflammation of the throat and nose, and dizziness.
This is the most important information to know about ZEMPLAR Capsules. For more information, talk with your health care provider.
You have symptoms of high calcium or vitamin D.
- Tell your doctor if you are having signs of high calcium levels, which include feeling tired, difficulty thinking clearly, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, increased thirst, increased urination and weight loss
- Before and while taking ZEMPLAR, tell your doctor about all medications that you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription drugs, aluminum-containing compounds, supplements, and herbal preparations, or any change in your medical condition
- You should have blood tests to measure your blood levels of parathyroid hormone, calcium, and phosphorus while you are on ZEMPLAR
- Your doctor may order the tests more often when you begin ZEMPLAR or if your dose is changed
- Your doctor may adjust your dose based on the results of your blood tests
ZEMPLAR® (paricalcitol) Capsules are an active form of vitamin D used to prevent and treat secondary hyperparathyroidism (increased parathyroid hormone levels) in patients with Stage 3 or Stage 4 chronic kidney disease and in Stage 5 patients on dialysis.
- To help lower your chance of getting symptoms of high calcium in your blood, your doctor should make sure the level of calcium in your blood is 9.5 mg/dL or lower before starting you on ZEMPLAR Capsules if you have Stage 5 kidney failure and are on dialysis.
ZEMPLAR Capsules are a prescription medication.1
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
If you cannot afford your medication, contact www.pparx.org or call the toll-free phone number (1-888-4PPA-NOW) for assistance.
You can also call 1-877-ZEMPLAR
(1-877-936-7527) for additional information and select Option 2 to find out whether other financial assistance options may be available.