Use and Important Safety Information
ZEMPLAR® (paricalcitol) Capsules are an active form of vitamin D used to prevent and treat secondary hyperparathyroidism (increased parathyroid hormone levels) in patients with Stage 3 or Stage 4 chronic kidney disease and in Stage 5 patients on dialysis.
- To help lower your chance of getting symptoms of high calcium in your blood, your doctor should make sure the level of calcium in your blood is 9.5 mg/dL or lower before starting you on ZEMPLAR Capsules if you have Stage 5 kidney failure and are on dialysis.
Important Safety Information1
- You should not start or continue to take ZEMPLAR Capsules if you have symptoms of high calcium or vitamin D. Taking too much vitamin D or taking it for a long time can cause very high calcium or vitamin D levels which may cause serious health problems and the need for emergency medical care. Signs of high calcium include feeling tired, difficulty thinking clearly, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, increased thirst, increased urination, and weight loss. Tell your doctor if you are having any of these signs.
- Before and while taking ZEMPLAR Capsules, tell your doctor about all medications that you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription drugs, aluminum-containing compounds, supplements, and herbal preparations, or any change in your medical condition.
- Your doctor should measure your blood levels of PTH, calcium, and phosphorus before starting you on and while you are taking ZEMPLAR Capsules. Your doctor may order the tests more often when you begin ZEMPLAR Capsules or if your dose is changed. Your doctor may adjust your dose based on the results of your blood tests.
- It is important that you follow your ZEMPLAR medication plan exactly as your doctor has ordered and follow any instructions you were given about your diet and phosphorus restrictions.
- The most common side effects with the use of ZEMPLAR Capsules include diarrhea, nausea, swelling, allergic reaction, viral infection, high blood pressure, vomiting, inflammation of the throat and nose and dizziness.
This is the most important information to know about ZEMPLAR Capsules. For more information, talk with your health care provider.
- Zemplar® (paricalcitol) Capsules [package insert]. North Chicago, IL; Abbott Laboratories.